Announcing the Passing of Paul Francis

Posted on Tuesday, October 3rd, 2017 by CCMBC Communications in News | Comments (7)

CCMBC extends condolences and invites prayer for the family of Paul Francis

Church planter and ministry leader, Paul Francis died Sept. 29, 2017, in Winnipeg. Paul was founding co-pastor of Gateway Community Church, Lower Sackville, N.S., with Kathleen Francis. He served as director of Mennonite Brethren church planting and conference minister in Atlantic Canada and also served as the Atlantic representative on the Canadian MB Executive Board.

Together with their two young children, Paul and Kathleen arrived in the Halifax area in 1991, where they pastored at Gateway until 2011. Over that time, he mentored local leaders and visiting emerging leaders on MB Mission’s ACTION and TREK programs.

“Paul’s love for God was evident in his passion for prayer, worship and sharing Jesus’ love with many,” says Ewald Unruh, former national director of MB church planting. “He was an innovative and caring leader who took pride in seeing his own children Lisa (Francis) Klassen and Joel Francis love, follow and serve God. He had a great sense of humour, a passion for the church to minister holistically within its community and a vision for the church to be a vibrant, faith-filled, worshipping community.”

“Paul loved those who were on the margins and understood their pain,” says Randy Friesen, MB Mission general director. “Paul understood that the true reality in life was in the unseen realm. He knew the reality of the Spirit of God and the powers of darkness, with which he struggled in recent years. Paul loved the presence of the Lord.”

Funeral services will take place at Westwood Community Church, Winnipeg, at 1 p.m., Oct. 7, 2017.

7 Comments |

7 responses to “Announcing the Passing of Paul Francis”

1. Vivian Ward-Golletz says:

I knew my cousin Paul as a kind, understanding person. When my husband Carl and I visited him in Halifax he was a gracious host and tour guide. Our hearts are sad to learn that he will not be with us, but we know that he is safe in the hands of the Lord.

2. PASTOR KAYENDA BENARD CHIYESU says:

I send my heart felt condolences to the berieved family and the church. May the soul of the great church planter rest in peace. for he has fought a good fight.

3. Kristen Corrigan says:

So very sad to hear of Paul’s passing. Praying for strength for Kathy and the extended family. May Paul rest in the arms of Jesus. He was such a special, caring man!

4. George Vais says:

Faith and I were saddened to hear of Paul’s passing. He was a great friend and a great influence on our children while in Winnipeg. “Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord. Their works do follow them.”

5. Kaye Migchelsen says:

No words to describe this wonderful man of God! My husband and I came to Gateway Community Church in Lower Sackville because we were looking for the New Covenant in action! And we found it with under the leadership of Paul & Kathy. Paul mentored many to listen to God’s heart in all things. One person said that he was the same man preaching as he was putting out the garbage! He greeted the church’s food bank clients and people in the church’s emergency shelter with love and respect. It brings tears to my eyes as I see a picture of him going “home” and the Jesus that he loved so deeply greeting him with open arms! At Gateway, we will always be quote Paul (serious quotes and funny ones). He was one of the wisest persons I have met! We miss him!

6. Ruth Conwell says:

As one of the founding youth leaders at Gateway’s infancy years, I was privileged to witness the many facets of Paul’s leadership in our church community. He was a trail blazer,an avid advocate for the disadvantaged and marginalized members of our society and a soul winner . In many ways Paul was ahead of his time. As a visionary, his pioneer spirit impacted many lives.
    He was a people person where he could connect with the newborn,the elderly and everyone in between. Truly a gift from God.
    My family and I express our heartfelt condolences . Paul will be missed and not forgotten.

7. James & Elfrieda Nikkel says:

Elfrieda & have wonderful memories of Paul and Kathy Frances as Maritime church planters and are thankful to God for their years of effective ministry. We are saddened by Paul’s death and recent years of challenges. Our condolences to Kathy and the family on the passing of Paul.